WRITE ME

WRITE ME nicosreggaeblog@gmail.com


Wednesday, December 1, 2010

WHITE MICE

To answer the who part of the question I asked a few post ago. Who? White Mice.



There is a strong chance ya never heard of him. I knew almost nothing about him and what I do know; I learned only recently. I used to haunt the capitol city's hippest record stores and I was never graced with the presence of his "True Love" LP. The magazine rack had issue after issue of underground rock music but stocked no Reggae magazines. At best you could thumb across a random article on Reggae. I never found a printed word about White Mice. Remember this was pre-internet days. I found out about him from Beth Lessor's mighty King Jammy/Dancehall books. Google him now and you'll be informed by the same variation of the linear notes. He faded away quietly and quickly by his own device. Nobody knows why. If he continued laying down tracks he would definitely been a huge star. With a unique technique he rode some first class riddims. Lyrical content covered serious concerns. Everybody talks about the 70's being the golden era of reggae. A fact I won't refute, but by the end of the decade everybody was building their career from the Bob Marley and the Wailers blueprint. The 80's saw a new architect in King Jammy. The ghetto didn’t wanna make Reggae for white British college kids anymore; they wanted to create a homegrown soundtrack for themselves. Apparently the producer Junior Delgado working at Jammy’s studio baited White Mice with a piece of cheese just long enough to capture a full CD's worth killer tracks. Released on Basic Replay outta Germany.



White Mice was born Allan Crichton and the original vinyl was released on his brother Blemo's Intelitec label based in Miami. While searching for some photographs to cut and paste I came across this info…he resurfaced as Ras Iwa. Maybe it’s him-the intel seemed sketchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment