WRITE ME

WRITE ME nicosreggaeblog@gmail.com


Sunday, November 28, 2010

RIDDIMS!

Okay, I came off like Raid rodent repellant with that last post. So my apologies to Wallace Wilson.

Psst...why am I whispering? Lean in close 'cause I don't wanna say this out loud. I recently added a bunch of Riddim CD's to my selection. I specifically snatched up ones with mi Lady Saw (although she is certainly no damsel in distress!), Ce'Cile and early RED RAT singles! Now on to some new business...

1.) Whether ya call 'em Riddim Driven, Riddim Rider or as Greensleeves simply calls 'em Rhythm Albums, try explaining what one is to somebody whose head doesn't soak up Reggae sounds like a thirsty sponge.

2.) After You figure that out...then try explaining to the non-believer WHY you would need 15 to 20 versions of the same backing track with different singers voicing their own unique take. Yep.

Having said that...a good riddim CD should play like a suite of music. A lot of classical compositions use the reoccuring theme technique.

Note... I'm not gonna break riddim CD's down tune by tune 'cause of that whole attention span deficit thing I got going... so I'll name the names of who I feel walks away owning the Riddim. You know.. who the show stopper is. The star who threatens to steal the show will be named the runner up. Easy enough.

EARTH, WIND "N" FLAMES

Release date of 2003 with executive producer credits going to Rohan Fuller for JAH SNOW CONE PRODUCTIONS.



I guess the image this Riddim is supposed to conjour up is the swirling storms of Mother Nature's fury. But all I feel is a nameless and faceless angry fist raised inna middle of a mob. Leaves my cold.



I tried to warm to it, but every time I spun it, I would keeping skipping tracks till nothing was left. Sure this Riddim is booming and pumping but even Bouny Killer falls apart with this mess. That never happens to the "Poor Peoples Governer". I gave it a rounded up 2 outta 5 for all the talented tries. Hey, Earth Worm and Killer Bee gave it their all.

SEXY LADY EXPLOSION

Release date of 2003 with credits going to Christopher "Longman" Birch for BIGYARD MUSIC. The liner notes state he plays all the instruments. Damn.



Top ta bottom, front ta back, every track is killer. In fact this set opens with Bounty Killer working with Angel Doolas. A trend I notice with these VP Riddim Driven discs...if the "Poor People's Governor" is to be included than he starts the proceedings. VP's strategy must be to come out blazing with your biggest guns. I wouldn't want to follow the Bounty Killer but the Wayne Marshall selection holds itself steady. I find myself liking Wayne Marshall more and more. Track 5 is this catchy all-star jam featuring Shaggy/Brian and Tony Gold/Sean Paul and Will Smith that somehow doesn't sink under it own excessive weight. Know what I mean? This set doesn't sag in the middle either-T.O.K. see to that. T.O.K. always have that unfair advantage of an unlimitd vocal range sweetened with four part harmonies. Boy band? Nah. They are the closest 1960's Detroit comes to the New Millennium Kingston. Every cut all good for the ear drums. "What Up Papi" by Danny English featuring Tia have chemistry. They are my show stealer. Bounty Killer's "Ice & Alize" takes the top honour of show stopper for me. I love how he strips a Riddim down to it's bare essentials and then builds back those subtle nuances.



The Riddim is a mid tempo shaker with an upbeat digital pulse. An added touch of sultry Spanish style trumpets dropped in the mix slow cooks the mood. Perfect. 4.99999 outta 5

No comments:

Post a Comment