WRITE ME

WRITE ME nicosreggaeblog@gmail.com


Tuesday, November 16, 2010

AND IN THIS CORNER...



Very cool concept. Four big producers put the metaphorical gloves on and go head to head in the ring for a heavy weight sound clash. Instead of a left right combination, or an sneaky uppercut, these producers slug it out with top draw talent. Marquee names like the Bobo Righteous Buju Banton are pitted against Ghetto Realists like Vybz Kartel. Wild picks like the recently escaped from the asylum, Elephant Man or the ravishing beauty, Ce’Cile also fill out the talent roster. (Ce’Cile always fills out beautifully!) It is a riddim fisticuffs of dancehall killers. It is a virtual who’s who two-disc 32 tune extravaganza. Over in the red corner are the producers Skatta and Ward 21. Their opponents over in the blue corner are Arrows and South Rakkas Crew. It’s an equal match to my ears. Even though I’ve heard all these Riddims before, I haven’t heard ‘em necessarily by these stars. The Capleton cut, Fireman Anthem, by the South Rakkas Crew I have already, but I’m not complaining. A great tune never gets played out. In fact every tune lands hard. Every Riddim leaves a welt, but what stone cold knocked me out was the $0.99 cent price tag at Ernie B’s! There is no excuse not to pick this up.



Okay if I had to choose a loser, I would go with the Skatta Riddims which is interesting because it was their Ce'Cile tune that caught my eye/ear in the first place. (and my imagination!) The glove in the air winner would have to be the South Rakkas Crew but only by a small technicality.

No comments:

Post a Comment