WRITE ME

WRITE ME nicosreggaeblog@gmail.com


Saturday, February 6, 2010

New tricks



11 out of 10 stars. It is mathematically possible!

During the rise of the Compact Disc, I rejected the technology, preferring to spin out the early nineties on my turntable. My argument was that it was an industry rip off. The big record companies promised music at such affordable prices that I could splurge on two dime-bags a week with the money I would save! They preached that since manufacturing costs had dropped, the savings would be passed onto the fans. Wrong! The suckers in suits jacked up everything. “Screw the fans, they’ll pay if they wanna be the first on their block”. Hot off the drawing board tech is always inflated beyond the rules of supply and demand. The Heathens were stealing even more cash from the till! Hell, even some of their artists that topped the company roster were still not getting paid. Some things never change!
Eventually, I could not ignore progress anymore…a lot of hard to find stuff started popping up in those jewel cases. Stuff that had been out of print for twenty years was now Remastered and Deluxe Editioned. By the mid-nineties CDs became the standard medium and record execs’ started acting more responsible with my paycheck.



Forget numbers...a heavens worth of stars.

While I was slowly filling in the holes of my collection I kept an eye on the new names popping up. The Buju Banton’s and the Bounty Killers. Curiosity finally killed me and I bought myself, Buju’s “Til Shiloh”. I was stunned, shocked and more alive than ever! I followed that with Capleton’s “More Fire”. Furious stuff! I would spend the new millennium years now playing catch up to the nineties. I am always chasing my tail!



9 out of 10 ounces.

I am amazed at how many middle-aged folks think all modern Reggae and Dancehall is the work of Hip-Hop thugs. The crotch grabbing bling bragging Rap star wanna-be’s. For those old salty dogs that swear to Jah that Reggae went belly up sometime in the 80’s, Chezidek makes them all filthy liars! This gentleman has the golden tonsils of a crooner! Sorta Beres Hammond doing a Sizzla thing sung by Cedric Myton. Makes sense, right? Everybody forgets about Luciano being a 90’s discovery, because they figure he’s been around since the late 60’s. He sounds it right?
Now, Chezidek sets all those doubters straight. This music is Roots growing deep into the traditions best but somehow remaining a fresh modern listen.



9 out of 10 ounces.

No comments:

Post a Comment