WRITE ME

WRITE ME nicosreggaeblog@gmail.com


Friday, June 10, 2011

NICO'S TWO CENTS. AGAIN.




Okay, I'll admit I can be a hypocritical bastard!

 Let my explain...for years I rejected YELLOWMAN because of the nature of his lyrical content. I always preached that his songs were the Devil's playground. Yeah...high morals coming from an erotic painter and photographer!
 Awhile back I came to the realization that thru decades of radio exposure, tons of mix-tapes and Friday nite parties, I knew every slack word that the YELLOWMAN has ever spoken! And you know what? He is better than good, he is fucking great. I never admitted to myself what an innovator he was.

ACTUALLY TAME BY TODAYS HARDCORE STANDARDS!

Damn fool... I wasted so much time trying to ignore him. 

GUILTY PLEASURES!

Apparently YELLOWMAN, since rechristened KING YELLOWMAN, felt the same way. Absent from his current work is the overtly slack sentimentality and in it's place is a higher reverence for life. Belief in JAH does that!

Every once in awhile I go on a massive YELLOWMAN kick to atone for my past sins. This VP Records collection culled from their vast archives of goodies is great place to start penance




When I want to escape life's daily drudgery, I indulge in the fine art of browsing. An independent music chain provides the getaway. I can't bad mouth 'em because of the musical goodies that they've stocked in their bins for past 25 years has always made this miserable bastard happy. 
But more recently I had no clue that artists like Baby Cham and Mr. Vegas were in the Rap/Hip-Hop section. Odd. Considering Elephant Man is stocked in the Reggae bins. Now I could see accidentally dropping his stuff in the RAP section. ELE'S Let's Get Physical was put out by RAP MOGUL Sean "Puffy Doodle" Comb's BAD BOY RECORDS! 

AN ENDLESS SUPPLY OF ENERGY AND MELODIES

The stampeding ELEPHANT MAN is in the same bin as the ETHIOPIANS and the sedate musical meditations of EARL ZERO. So why in BABYLON is Mr. Vegas's releases hiding among some of COMPTON'S finest. I'm trying to find the logic.
To quote the great thinker, BOUNTY KILLER, "Rap is an embarrassment to Dancehall." 

No comments:

Post a Comment