WRITE ME

WRITE ME nicosreggaeblog@gmail.com


Sunday, September 12, 2010

The SOUND of the DRUMS still has its POWER!



Some time back 1996; I frustratingly peeled off the security seal protecting the newness of my CD purchase. I put my feet up and pressed play. Angelique Kidjo's Fifa CD was cued. The first words, “ have been away for so long that I wonder, does the sound of the drum still have its power?” Angelique was born in Benin, West Africa, but she reached stardom during the mid 1990’s Parisian music scene along side Les Nubians, Zap Mama and Princess Erika. These ladies are all worth your attention.



To answer the question at hand…the sound of the drum for Angelique has not lost its power. This is some crazed Afropean FUNK! I read about her in the Jazz rag, Downbeat Magazine, in a review written by Nawlin's legend Branford Marsalis. As a bass guitarist holding together the bottom of a tune, I damn sure better be listening to the drums, but the question goes deeper. Way past skin deep - as a somewhat fairer complexioned crazy baldhead who is perhaps a several hundred-life times and one continent removed from Mother Africa, I hear it. Loud in my ear! As a small youth I heard it. I pictured myself growing up to be the King of the Bongo! I pictured myself running the Serengeti barefoot. Adults ruined my adolescent reality. Absolutely ruined it with racial prejudice and senseless hatred. I have met parents that teach their kids to hate other kids over skin pigment. They themselves do not even know why. Humanity is not civilized yet. One big JAH test. Sadly, many people will fail.


The first Nyabinghi Warrior to be pressed in vinyl.

So whether you call the science of Biology your faith or chapters of the Old Testament your truth either way it all began in Africa. We are all bothers and sisters fathered by Jah in Zion. And this birth took place in the belly of Mother Earth. Our Mother Africa. (More on that with another post. Big subject, little time.)


I believe these Nyabinghi Drums are hand made by Ras Daniel now out of Kali

Personally, I have been away for a really time, I mean many generations away. To many to count. Generations of man that traveled out of the African plains and across the deserts of the Middle East and who finally settled in the boot of Europe; Italy. In the scheme of things that boat ride over to Ellis Island, was like ten minutes ago. Oh? And that jewel case contained a diamond.

No comments:

Post a Comment