WRITE ME

WRITE ME nicosreggaeblog@gmail.com


Thursday, January 27, 2011

VINTAGE 2010

Now that the year 2010 seems like ancient history...Nico's Big Mouth looks back at a few of the releases that held my attention for more than passing moment.

The best video not featuring the beautifully talented CE'CILE goes to COURTNEY JOHN.

I haven’t viewed too many videos...my computer is so old that you-tube plays in stop motion. As I mentioned in a past post my cable provider has a feature that offers a small handful of REGGAE videos. This video for the COURTNEY JOHN tune LUCKY MAN has made me a huge fan.


The video is shot in glorious black 'n' white. A film-noir piece that evokes the feel and emotion of the 1960’s. Before COURTNEY takes the song out, he segues into a few bars of the SOUL standard, I WANNA GET NEXT TO YOU. This tune was the signature ballad by ROSE ROYCE used in the movie CAR WASH. So strong is COURTNEY’S visual performance that I blindly (deafly?) picked up the disc that the single is off of. Am I satisfied?
Do used car salesman take advantage of little old ladies?
Most certainly!


All right…this REGGAE discussion on AMAZON went foul fast so I added my Big Mouth to the “arguement.” Below is my smart-ass remark...

This is perfect for those “fans” too colorblind to spot the difference between SIZZLA and 50 CENT. Courtney John makes reggae the old fashioned way. He digs back even further than Roots to an era defined by Rocksteady crooners. John creates pure soul poured over smooth grooves. All the empty spaces are filled with harmonies and a touch of punchy horns. No annoyingly ponderous guitar solos to distract from the melody. No camouflaging sour notes with auto-tune. No generic digital beats. No way will you mistake it for Hip-Hop. Or that Rock n Roll nonsense either. The CD title explains it all-MADE IN JAMAICA

I was beginning to think that my forte’ for this BLOG was becoming bargain hunting for REGGAE deals, but my human nature acted up.


The single tune that got stuck on repeat in my brain goes to WAYNE MARSHALL and MAVADO'S massive MY HEART. Normally tunes like this make me vomit till I turn blue. These tunes are fit for sullen teenage girls. But for reason unexplainable too myself, I love this tune. Maybe therapy will help get it outta my head.


Many big drops from big talent last year… LADY SAW’S something different MY WAY, CAPLETON’S slow burning ITERNAL FIRE, BUJU’S get out of jail BEFORE THE DAWN and GYPTAIN’S nah sell out crossover HOLD YOU… et cetera. But my most played new CD of 2010 goes to TAD’S REGGAE JAMMIN PLUS Vol. 2.


This collection is giving notice to VP’S REGGAE GOLD series and the GREENSLEEVES' BIGGEST REGGAE ONE DROP/RAGGA DANCEHALL ANTHEMS that TADS is a force to be reckoned with. As you can see there is a lot of big names spread out over 40!!! big tunes. Do not be foolish...add this 2 disc set to your selection. Bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment