WRITE ME

WRITE ME nicosreggaeblog@gmail.com


Friday, April 23, 2010

The Bonfire Still Blazin



My dad called me up about 6 months ago, and straight out asked me to move back in. It was 27 long years ago when I called that place home. After saying no way, my dad said the doctors only gave him 2 more months. I mentioned to him that he already cheated death a few cancer scares back. He said he did not want to die an old man all alone. I could tell from his voice that he believed he couldn't trick death again. So I came home. This time with my wife and a housefull of our junk and nowhere to put it. I always promised my dad I would get a big fire burning, but I never did. 5 months passed and I always assumed the doctors were wrong.



Up here in New England we were just a few days shy of 40 days and 40 nights of rain. I was cleaning out my dads important papers and decided to get a roaring blaze in that old brick fireplace. I owed it to my dad. Memories of childhood came flooding through my mind as I sorted through endless paid bills and past reciepts. I put on Capleton's Still Blazing CD. There is something primal about a fire. There is also something spirtual and cleansing in it's flames. I burn't all reminders of my dad's earthly existance. I got the fire so hot, I was tossing completely saturated wood onto the blaze and watched the water boil out.

When the last few notes of Still Blazing faded into the air I sat in silence. I said goodbye one last time.

Capleton's Still Blazing is that kind of record.

No comments:

Post a Comment